Borrow a bike to enjoy the blue lake and mountain view. From the oldest iron bridge in Hokkaido to observtion spotos, take a trip you could only have at Shikotsu Lake.
Borrow a bicycle at the Shikotsu Lake Visitor Centre, tour the tourist spots, and buy a souvenir at the gift shop. Shikotsu Lake is a caldera lake made by volcanic activity 40,000 years ago, with a circumference of 40km. It’s the second deepest in Japan, down to 360m at its deepest point. Its clear waters are also famous, with a colour the residents call Shikotsu Lake Blue. The Yamasentetsu Bridge, with its eye-catching red, is laid across the Chitose river that flows from Shikotsu Lake. Cross the oldest still-working iron bridge in Hokkaido, to the highest observation spot on the lake edge. The view of the lake and the mountains beyond it is breathtaking. Past that, you can go to the source water field that descends to the side of the lake, to touch the water of the lake itself.
Shikotsu Lake Bicycle Rental
- 【Address】Shikotsuko Onsen Extra Area Shikotsuko Visitor Center
- 【Business Period】Late April to early November
- 【Business Hours】9:00-17:00
- 【Fee Admission】Normal bicycle: 1,000 yen per day * 2,000 yen in insurance fees needed separately/Automatic mountain bike: 2,000 yen per day * 3,000 yen in insurance fees needed separately
- 【Regular Holiday】None during the period
- 【Parking Lot】Lake Shikotsu parking lot(Paid）
Hokkaido Chuo Bus: From Shinchitose Airport to Shikotsu Lake is 55 minutes, then 2 minutes on foot from the bus station/ 40 minutes from Shinchitose Airport (via route 36, route 16)|65 minutes from Sapporo (via motorway/route 36, route 16)
- 【Official website】http://shikotsukovc.sakura.ne.jp
- 【Contact Us】0123-25-2404
- 【Map Code】867 063 418*57