The exhibition is centered on works of artists related to Otaru.
Otaru has a landscape of houses dotted around the undulating terrain of the sea, canal, and harbor. The art museum was the Otaru Regional Savings Office at that time, in a corner of the street where banks and such in Otaru City, which was also called Northern Wall Street. This museum has two memorial halls and a themed exhibition room, and exhibits and preserves works of contemporary artists who are related to Otaru, centered on works of artists who made excellent achievements during the time when Otaru prospered as a commercial city. One of the memorial halls is Zensaku Nakamura, who is known as a landscape painter from Otaru. The rich colors of the landscape paintings, which show a kind and gentle personality of his, draw viewers’ attention. In Ichihara Arinori Memory Hall on the 3rd floor, there are a lot of works by Arinori Ichihara, an internationally renowned printmaker with a unique style of art using a technique called Monotype. There is also ingenuity in appreciation as well as works such as a section that reproduces a part of the art studio, and a section where you can watch the work production process. In addition, the citizen gallery on the 1st floor holds a variety of exhibitions by citizens throughout the year.
Otaru City Museum of Art
- 【Address】1-9-5 Ironai, Otaru
- 【Business Hours】9:30~17:00(Last admission time 16:30)
- 【Fee Admission】General 300 yen, High school students / City residents over 70 years old 150 yen, Junior high school students and younger Free * There are common admission tickets available with the museum of literature
- 【Regular Holiday】Monday (if the same day is a national holiday, the day after next). The day after a national holiday (if the same day is Saturday, Sunday, or a public holiday, a day after Tuesday will be substitute). From December 29th to January 3rd.
- 【Parking Lot】Available for 20 cars(free)
(Train) About 10 minutes by walk from JR Otaru Station,
(Car) About 7 minutes from Otaru IC.
- 【Official website】https://www.city.otaru.lg.jp/simin/sisetu/artmuseum/
- 【Contact Us】TEL 0134-34-0035、FAX 0134-32-2388
* the museum may be temporarily closed.
* Group discount available